Why We're Here
We believe heartfelt, human connections make people's lives
better. Especially the people who work here.
Our founder, Bill Kimpton rebelled against impersonal, generic
hospitality that makes people feel disconnected. He initiated a new
boutique hotel standard and environment where people could connect,
from the heart. That was the goal then, and it is still our purpose
Your work here has meaning. You're here to improve the lives of
coworkers, guests, owners, communities, and together we make that
happen. It's what drives all that we do. Every day you can improve
lives in your own, unique way and you can expect the same in
return. It all starts with you.
How We're Different
Our San Francisco-born entrepreneurial spirit and zest for life
kick started this culture in 1981, and it shines through to this
It all flows from you. The lively, rebellious, genuine you -
with your diverse background, talents, experiences, and plucky
personality - is fully welcome, and celebrated here. Because we
know that when people can be themselves at work, they shine.
That's what we seek out and celebrate. It's people of all kinds
who share a knack for creativity and self-leadership. People who
don't need to be told what to do to get things done. People who
have an innate passion for making others' lives better.
It adds up to a work environment that's a bit quirky,
irreverent, exciting, uncommon, empowering, and downright
exceptional. Guests feel it; you'll feel it too.
What You'll Do
POSITION SUMMARY: The Express Meetings Manager (EMM) role is to
solicit, create compelling proposals, contract and service
corporate and social groups of a more intimate size of 35 rooms or
less. This includes those groups that are both with and without
guest room needs. The EMM is to strive to achieve a balance between
revenue generation, executing contracts, service and the
profitability of the organization. Through effective management,
the goal is to capture the hotel's fair share of revenue through
guest rooms, food, beverage, room rental and auxiliary services,
such as audio visual provisions, storage/labor fees and other
This position will serve as one point of contact in the entire
sales process from beginning until end to achieve sales objectives
in guest rooms and banquets/catering.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinate meetings, conferences, exhibit shows or other
special events and activities with accuracy and detailed
communication outlines for the client and hotel departments,
providing the appropriate memos, Banquet Event Orders, Group
Profiles and other communications as necessary.
- Create compelling proposals and negotiate terms of business as
- Conduct guest site tours (virtual and in person) for new and
- Coordinates menu arrangements for conference clients that
maximize the revenue potential for the hotel, while serving the
needs of the client.
- Must be able to upsell food + beverage, guest room types and
any ancillary revenue streams.
- Obtains group rooming lists by due date, monitors cut-off
dates, tracks guest room pick up and oversees group blocks.
- Pre cut-off -- ensure all blocks are washed to the previous
year's history or to the hotel's specific demand level
- Ensures all information flows from Delphi to the PMS
- Ensures all banquet checks are correctly accounted for.
- Makes certain all audio visual needs are properly coordinated
- Oversees (with DOSM, RGM and DF) the forecasting and processing
of group commissions and rebates.
- Assists conference clients with "off-premise" (hotel) details
as they may affect the hotel service delivery (e.g. decor, motor
coach requests and arrival/departure patterns, limousine requests,
exhibitor requests, entertainment referrals, golf or sports
arrangements, spousal programs, etc.) and informs all supporting
hotel departments while maintaining the integrity of the hotel
physical plant. All arrangements are to be assessed the appropriate
charges to ensure that the hotel receives a fair share of revenue
in relationship to the expenditure of time and labor.
- Maintains flexible hours to accommodate customer needs, due to
the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry. The EMM may be
required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of
- Based on slow business conditions, may support catering sales
- Schedules appropriate interdepartmental meetings for the
operational aspects of coordinating conference requirements, which
may include pre-planning meetings or a Pre-Conference Meeting for
the operational departments.
- Prepares detailed CONFERENCE PROFILES (Resume) for conferences
that are comprehensive and issued in a timely manner (no less than
five business days prior to the group arrival date).
- Provides an accurate CONFERENCE PROFILE that documents all
aspects of a particular conference, to include menus, meeting
set-ups, client profiles, reservation pick-up statistics and other
pertinent information as outlined in the current departmental
policies and procedures.
- Reviews all client invoices prior to mailing to ensure accuracy
and proper assessment of all services and goods rendered by the
SPECIFIC EXPERIENCE WE'RE SEEKING
- Self-starter with internal drive to excel in performance
- Successfully demonstrated selling skills and competencies
- Solid knowledge of food + beverage
- Solid knowledge of meeting room sets
- Thorough knowledge of property, space, food + beverage
offerings and capacities
- Well organized, detail orientated and excellent follow up
- Delphi experience preferred, but not required
- Opera experience preferred, but not required
- To achieve success in this role, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
Education And/Or Experience - Prior relevant experience in hotel
sales role and bachelor's degree.
Language Skills - Ability to read, write, and verbally
communicate effectively and professionally with other business
departments, guests, and vendors. Ability to diplomatically deal
with difficult situations and people, while exhibiting a consistent
level of professionalism.
Reasoning Ability -- Ability to solve practical problems and
deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only
limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of
instructions furnished in written, oral, report, or schedule form.
Regularly exercise independent judgment and discretion about
matters of significance.
Physical Demands - While performing the duties of this job, the
employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk or hear.
The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle,
or feel objects, or telephone. The employee will occasionally lift
and/or move up to 35 pounds.
Please note: management reserves the right to change, modify,
and/or alter any of the duties listed above to meet business
Differences make a difference. We are committed to creating a
culture that reflects the diversity of our hotel and restaurant
guests. With that goal in mind, we encourage each of our employees
to understand, accept, and celebrate differences among people. That
includes different personalities, lifestyles, work styles,
education, and experience. We also welcome and embrace people of
all races, ethnicities, ages, religions, physical abilities, sexual
orientation, gender identities and genders. For our complete EEO
policy click here.
Be Yourself. Lead Yourself. Make it Count.