Livestock Operations/Calving Coordinator
Company: Montana State University
Posted on: January 7, 2021
This position is critical to the research effort of the Animal
Science Unit. Animal data must be collected with care and accuracy
as the quality of data collected affects final research
results.Duties and ResponsibilitiesMain duties include:
- Being the lead worker for data collection and calving
- Teaching protocols and procedures to other employees and
temporary college students.
- Perform farm and ranch labor support for the research programs;
including routinelivestock management procedures without direct
- Observe, assist, collect and record data daily which includes:
weighing calves,tagging, recording all information, moving to
designated pasture and keeping accuratepasture inventories.
- Utilize horses for data collection and livestock management
plus maintain horses forother researchers.
- Assist in weighing of all research cattle and assist in feeding
of range and feedlotcattle when work schedule allows.
- As necessary, be able to diagnose and treat diseases and
sickness in cattle
- Detect and record estrus in cattle for breeding records,
postpartum interval andpuberty dates, and artificial
- Keep detailed technical records for research projects.
- Operate, maintain and repair all farm or industrial equipment.
Swath and bale hay forwinter cattle feed, chop corn for silage
production utilizing forage harvester, install gatedpipe for corn
irrigation, and set dams to irrigate hay fields.
- Water tank maintenance, construction and repairRequired
Qualifications - Experience, Education, Knowledge & Skills
- A.S. in agriculture (Beef cattle management, Beef cattle
nutrition or similar) and one year full-time cattle operation
experience or an equivalent combination of education
- Experience with both dryland and irrigated hay, small grain,
corn silage and forageproduction.
- Ability to operate all large, heavy or small equipment found at
a typical farm or ranch.Preferred Qualifications - Experience,
Education, Knowledge & Skills
- B.S. in agriculture (Beef cattle management, Beef cattle
nutrition or similar)
- Experience as an ag or heavy equipment mechanic.
- Experience in conducting or collaborating with agricultural
- Documented experience with Low Stress Cattle Handling
procedures.The Successful Candidate Will
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and oral.
- Have excellent record keeping skills and be detailed
- Be self-directed and be able to make appropriate decisions in
the absence of other leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective
working relations with co-workers and the public.
- The ability to represent MSU in a productive, professional and
courteous manner.Position Special Requirements/Additional
- Must have, or be able to obtain with six months of hire, a
research and demonstration pesticide license for agricultural plant
pests and vertebrate classification.
- Must possess currently or be eligible to obtain a valid State
of Montana Driver'slicense and have an acceptable driving record
(less than 12 points) as occasional travel will be
required.Physical DemandsWith or without reasonable accommodation;
the person in this position must be able to:
- Maneuver parts, equipment, and livestock that weigh up to 150
- Work in extreme temperatures and inclement weather
- Navigate on slippery or uneven terrain.
- Work with and around pesticides and dust-born particles.
- Work with and around hazardous machinery that is extremely
- Handle and work with unpredictable livestock that can cause
- Work livestock while on horseback and be able to handle horses
in and around allranch environments.
- Work in elevated positions (example: 90' elevator legs or large
grain bins).This position has supervisory duties? YesNumber of
Vacancies 1Desired Start Date Upon successful completion of
searchPosition End Date (if temporary)Open DateClose
DateApplications will be:Screening of applications will begin on
12/07/2020 ; however, applications will continue to be accepted
until an adequate applicant pool has been established.Special
InstructionsTo apply:Upload your resume and a cover letter
outlining how you meet each individual required and preferred
qualification.Please note, this posting requires contact
information for three professional references within your app
profile.Diversity StatementMontana State University values diverse
perspectives and is committed to continually supporting, promoting
and building an inclusive and culturally diverse campus
environment. MSU recognizes the importance of work-life integration
and strives to be responsive to the needs of dual career
couples.Montana State University is committed to providing a
working and learning environment free from discrimination. As such,
the University does not discriminate in the admission, access to or
conduct of its educational programs and activities nor in its
employment policies and practices on the basis of an individual's
race, color, religion, national origin, creed, service in the
uniformed services (as defined in state and federal law), veteran's
status, sex, age, political ideas, marital or family status,
pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information,
gender identity, gender expression, or sexual orientation. In
support of the University's mission to be inclusive and diverse,
applications from qualified minorities, women, veterans and persons
with disabilities are highly encouraged.Montana State University
makes accommodation for any known disability that may interfere
with an applicant's ability to compete in the hiring process or an
employee's ability to perform the duties of the job. To request an
accommodation, contact the Human Resources Office, PO Box 172520,
Montana State University, Bozeman MT 59717-2520; 406-994-3651;
email@example.com .In compliance with the Montana Veteran's
Employment Preference Act, MSU provides preference in employment to
veterans, disabled veterans, and certain eligible relatives of
veterans. To claim veteran's preference please complete the
veteran's preference information located in the Demographics
section of your profile.MSU's Non-Discrimination Policy and
Discrimination Grievance Procedures can be located on the MSU
Keywords: Montana State University, Bozeman , Livestock Operations/Calving Coordinator, Other , Bozeman, Montana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!