Chief Medical Officer
Company: Montana State University
Posted on: September 17, 2023
For questions regarding this position, please contact:
Classification Title Managing Director Working Title Chief Medical
Officer Brief Position Overview This individual oversees clinical
practices and clinical staff in Student Health Services Position
Number 4C5248 Department UHP Medical Services Division Division of
Student Success Appointment Type Professional Contract Term Fiscal
Year Semester If other, specify From date If other, specify End
date FLSA Exempt Union Affiliation Exempt from Collective
Bargaining FTE 1.0 Benefits Eligible Salary Salary commensurate
with experience, education, and qualifications. Contract Type MUS
If other, please specify Recruitment Type Open General Statement
The Chief Medical Officer is responsible for assuring the provision
of well-organized, high-quality health care at MSU Student Health
Services. The CMO is classified as an Associate Director and
reports to the Director Student Health Services / Associate Vice
President Student Wellness. The Student Wellness area is within the
Division of Student Success at MSU Bozeman. Student Wellness
provides support and services for student and community health and
well-being at MSU and is comprised departments focused on health
and wellbeing, to include: Counseling & Psychological Services ,
Medical Services , Dental Services , Office of Health Advancement
and Recreational Sports & Fitness . The new Student Wellness Center
( SWC ), a 185,000 square foot facility slated to open spring 2024.
The new facility will enhance the integrated and holistic model of
student health and wellness at MSU . This role be a part of
charting the path of Student Health Services in the new
The role is 40 hours per week when students are in session. This is
a 0.85 full time equivalent employee for the academic year, and the
hours worked are tied to when students are in session.
Approximately 20 hours per week required over the summer on a
separate employment category. Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for medical oversight, leadership, and expertise
for all clinical activities in the Student Health Service. Clinical
- Supervise, mentor and support staff physicians and Advanced
Practice Clinicians (APCs: NP's and PA's).
- Assure clinical staff compliance with Student Health Services
by-laws, rules, regulations and clinical policies, procedures, and
- Oversee the credentialing and privileging process for clinical
- Ensures medical staff development plans and programs are
implemented and maintained as required by AAAHC . Clinical
- Partners and collaborates with the medical staff and management
team, facilitating teamwork, aligned efforts and goals.
- Oversee the overall clinical operations of the organization,
with direct oversight of Continuity Care. Engage in staff meetings,
communication, and management strategies.
- Work closely with the Acute Care manager to streamline flow of
patients between Acute Care and Continuity Care services.
- Authorize standing orders for medical care provided by RN/MA
staff, and medication substitutions/emergency refills at the
- Work closely with staff in Counseling & Psychological Services
( CPS ) and Student Wellness to continue to develop and promote a
whole person, integrated care model.
- Work with Student Health Director to formulate, develop, and
evaluate Student Health Service policies, goals, objectives, and
- Regularly review medical policies and procedures to maintain
high standards of care related to current medical knowledge and
- Support an on-going Quality Improvement (QI) program to
maintain and improve the quality of medical care provided at the
Student Health Center.
- Serve as medical advisor to the University on those
issues/problems that affect the health of the University community
(e.g. infectious disease, immunizations)
- Serve as Associate Director, and act as Director in absence of
- Provide comprehensive out-patient medical care to students as a
staff physician. This includes shared coverage of laboratory
results for weekends and vacation periods. Patient care
approximately 45% of time Required Qualifications - Experience,
Education, Knowledge & Skills
- Doctor of Medicine or Osteopathy degree.
- Current Board Certification in Family Practice, Medicine+
Pediatrics, or Internal Medicine.
- Five years' experience beyond Residency, in outpatient medicine
including experience in gynecology, orthopedics, and behavioral
medicine. Preferred Qualifications - Experience, Education,
Knowledge & Skills
- Experience in a university/college health setting.
- Experience in a leadership role in a health care setting. The
Successful Candidate Will
- Relate to and establish rapport with a college student
population; ability to practice in a conscientious manner with
demonstrated excellent clinical judgment.
- Ability to work effectively with the numerous professional
disciplines represented Student Health Services staff.
- Possess effective communication skills to establish and
maintain positive relationships. This includes the ability to
listen, make decisions and take appropriate action while
maintaining sensitivity to broad public relations issues.
- Highly motivated in the areas of quality improvement and
clinical transformation into a new facility, with proven expertise
in multiple aspects of healthcare such as quality assessment, peer
review, and service quality. Position Special
- Licensed to practice medicine in Montana, or willingness to
obtain by start date.
- Basic Life Support ( BLS ) Certification or higher
certification, by start date.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive
statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a
general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts
Montana State University's rights to assign or reassign duties and
responsibilities to this job at any time
- Exposure to blood-borne pathogens (Employees are provided with
training and equipment that complies with OSHA requirements for a
health care setting)
- Exposure to other pathogens of all kinds that is inherent to
working in a health care setting.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without
reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are
representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
This position has supervisory duties? Yes Number of Vacancies 1
Desired Start Date Upon completion of a successful search Position
End Date (if temporary) Open Date Close Date Applications will be:
Screening of applications will begin on September 13, 2023;
however, applications will continue to be accepted until an
adequate applicant pool has been established. Special Instructions
Montana State University values diverse perspectives and is
committed to continually supporting, promoting and building an
inclusive and culturally diverse campus environment. MSU recognizes
the importance of work-life integration and strives to be
responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
In compliance with the Montana Veteran's Employment Preference Act,
MSU provides preference in employment to veterans, disabled
veterans, and certain eligible relatives of veterans. To claim
veteran's preference please complete the veteran's preference
information located in the Demographics section of your
MSU's Non-Discrimination Policy and Discrimination Grievance
Procedures can be located on the MSU Website:
fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Keywords: Montana State University, Bozeman , Chief Medical Officer, Executive , Bozeman, Montana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!