Associate Director of Program Communications
Posted on: February 25, 2021
But we can fight for the one we have. Join today, and double
your impact! Associate Director of Program Communications San
Francisco, CA or Los Angeles, CA or New York, NY or Washington DC
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law
organization. We take on the biggest environmental legal battles
across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of
partnership to protect people's health; to preserve magnificent
places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate
change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters,
individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental
issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here
because the earth needs a good lawyer. Founded in 1971,
Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving
significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by
hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy
environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in
Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York,
Philadelphia, Chicago, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington,
DC. In addition to a talented cadre of environmental lawyers,
legislative advocates, and other staff, Earthjustice has a highly
creative and savvy communications team that works in strategic
partnership with every department at the organization, helping to
move the needle on important issues while building robust public
support for our work. The Associate Director of Program
Communications helps lead the Program Communications team within
the Communications Department, which consists of national and
regional communications strategists and press secretaries with
expertise in advocacy campaigns, media relations, and storytelling.
The team is spread out between offices in New York, Washington, DC,
and the organization's headquarters in San Francisco. This position
will work closely with colleagues in each of those offices, and
oversee direct reports. The Associate Director works in partnership
with the Senior Director to oversee communications strategy and
execution in our regional office work. The Associate Director will
directly manage the regional communications teams, while working
closely with the Senior Director who will manage national
communications staff. The Associate Director will also oversee
parts of the budget and contractor relationships. The entire
Program Communications team currently amounts to 18 full time
employees, while the Communications Department as a whole numbers
around 40 employees. In addition to overseeing the Regional
Communications team, the Associate Director will play a leadership
role in managing relationships, partnerships, and work flows with
the Brand Communications team within the Communications Department
(consisting of editorial, marketing, digital, multimedia, social
media and graphic design staff) as well as with attorneys, policy
staff, and senior leadership within the organization. To succeed in
this role, candidates must be seasoned strategic communications
leaders with exceptional communication skills and strong emotional
intelligence. The Associate Director of Program Communications must
be able to serve as a respected leader, an inspiring mentor, and a
trusted partner for her/his team, forging successful partnerships
within the doors of Earthjustice and beyond. Responsibilities
- Ensure prioritization and alignment of work between Program
Communications and litigation and policy staff on key issue
- Work with Senior Director to foster collaboration between
national communication staff and regional communications staff,
including the formation of cross-cutting teams on high priority
- Partner with Brand communications in content strategy meetings
to plan and prioritize the execution of major storytelling
endeavors that serve both program and brand communication
- Directly manage a growing team of regional communications
strategists, as well as press contractors as needed
- Deliver annual performance reviews for staff; provide ongoing
coaching and mentoring; co-lead team meetings and retreats
- Develop strategy documents, work plans, schedules, budgets, and
reports; co-manage the overall Program Communications budget,
including contracts, expenses, and spending projections.
- Recruits and hires qualified candidates who fit position
requirements and the work environment.
- Promotes change in terms of the expected benefits, as well as
removing or lowering the impact of potential obstacles.
- Sets clear team direction that aligns with Earthjustice
strategy, mission, and vision.
- Develops staff by providing career development opportunities
with appropriate training, encouragement, and supervision.
- Promotes inclusive work environment for team and models
inclusive behavior. Management (Essential Functions) Flexible
depending on number of direct reports and assuming dedication of
approximately 10% of time for each direct report
- Provides staff with consistent performance feedback - both
positive and constructive -- and acts as a coach and mentor.
- Creates a learning culture, by encouraging debriefing after
completion of significant stages of projects.
- Ensures that any direct reports who have supervisory
responsibility are properly executing those functions.
- Creates a respectful and inclusive work environment for team
and models respectful and inclusive behavior.
- Promptly addresses micro-aggressions and other concerns brought
to their attention.
- Resolves interpersonal conflict among team members and brings
in outside facilitators as needed.
- Communicates regularly with existing employees and encourages
staff to raise concerns and to provide ongoing feedback.
- Creates or identifies strategic opportunities for team building
and individual and overall staff engagement with one another in
order to strengthen teamwork, interaction and collaboration.--
- Values and uses individual differences and talents to improve
employee satisfaction and the quality of collective work.
- Celebrates successes and helps team members to understand and
- Provide strategic leadership and guidance in the development,
execution, and evaluation of communications plans and media
strategy among Program Communications and litigation and policy
staff. Strategies include earned media, digital storytelling,
community organizing, coalition building, events, online advocacy
and other audience engagement tactics.
- Work with communication strategists to develop talking points
and narratives around key issue areas
- Oversee all media efforts pertaining to priority issue areas;
work with Senior Director to manage media strategy for regionally
significant casework; oversee the tracking, reporting, and analysis
of media relations strategies to the organization and board.
- Work with staff to develop initiatives aimed at
movement-building and expanding our partnership with diverse
clients and partners; work with Brand Communications and
Development on initiatives to expand our supporter base through our
program work. Communications Leadership Team (10%)
- Work with communications leadership team to cultivate a
positive and welcoming culture within the department, and serve as
a positive ambassador for Program Communications to other
- Build systems and strategies for ensuring team members are
aligned on core organizational values and goals; develop metrics
for tracking progress. Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree required. Concentration in communications,
marketing, political science, or environmental studies
- 3+ years of experience in management of staff or
- 7+ years of experience working in communications departments in
nonprofit/advocacy organizations, media, or other NGOs.--
- Background in environmental issues, environmental law, social
justice, and other progressive advocacy preferred.
- Data science and analytics expertise a plus
- Exceptional leadership skills; enthusiastic about leading a
highly motivated, advocacy-oriented team with a wide range of
skills and interests, spread across multiple locations
- Proven experience overseeing national advocacy campaigns and
major press initiatives involving a broad range of internal and
- Deep knowledge of the current political and media landscape, as
well as comfort with social media and other digital advocacy
- Ability to manage key stakeholders in the handling of
fast-changing political and legal situations requiring rapid
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with
demonstrated experience in public speaking. Ability to speak
persuasively and to build strong relationships internally and
- Outstanding organizational skills with demonstrated ability to
maintain oversight and prioritize a broad range of communication
and administrative activities
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and
concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and
- Contributes to recruiting, hiring, developing and retaining a
diverse and inclusive workforce. Experience managing stakeholders,
staff, and vendors in a positive, collaborative team environment,
and exhibits outstanding team building/collaborative skills.
- High level of emotional intelligence.
- Candidate may be asked to provide a writing sample as part of
the job application process.
- Ability to effectively manage and lead a diverse team with
emotional intelligence (self-awareness and understating of the
impact of their behavior) and cultural humility (an understanding
of the need for additional learning about different cultures,
backgrounds and orientation and implementation of that learning
daily management practices).
- Ability to give and receive regular formal and informal
feedback in a timely, constructive, respectful, and consistent
manner and to incorporate debriefing into the team's
- Strong team mentorship and communication skills
- Understands the individual and team strengths and areas for
development and develops plans accordingly.
- Commitment to and experience in developing team skills and
talents to meet the evolving needs of an organization. Ability to
travel periodically to Program Communications staff in other
offices. We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment
and a competitive compensation package, including excellent
benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly
values diversity. Salary is based on experience and location.
Salary range in Washington DC and Los Angeles, CA: $134,000 -
$148,900 Salary range in San Francisco, CA and New York, NY:
$141,000 - $156,700 No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and
excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of
perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain
an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment
practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment
are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race,
color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or
mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital
status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender
expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not
related to the position. For positions located within the City and
County of San Francisco Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance
Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants
with arrest and conviction records. For positions located within
the City of Los Angeles:We will consider qualified applicants with
criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair
Chance Initiative for Hiring. Accommodation If you need reasonable
accommodation in order to complete the application, interview or
some other portion of the selection process for a job at
Earthjustice, please contact Human Resources at
email@example.com . More Jobs in the California Office,
Headquarters, Northeast Office, Washington, D.C., Office Office A
short guide on who we are & what--we--do. Find--out The Law Makes
Change Stay informed on how we hold accountable those who break our
environmental laws. Email Address Text JUSTICE to 43428 to receive
Earthjustice text message updates.
Keywords: Earthjustice, Bozeman , Associate Director of Program Communications, Executive , Bozeman, Montana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!